Tweeting in Haiku

I have a twitter account.  Sometimes I have mixed feelings about telling people that, and about the fact that I have an account, because so much of me doesn't understand, appreciate, or identify with the ways that Twitter is used and the people who use it.  I have, however, collected a rather eclectic group of people to follow, including Roger Ebert, Stephen Colbert, the Onion, and a few friends who have accounts. 

The association I work for has also started a Twitter account, as all good companies do these days, in order to gain awareness and reach out to a broader audience with promotable issues.  Since the association I work for has very limited contact with evil, the issues promoted are generally important and things that are worth doing.  I follow the association to stay up to date on what info they're putting out to people (there's also a Facebook page and a blog linked to the association's website), particularly because part of my job involves doing the research on topics they think they might be interested in.

For the unfamiliar, this is the Twitter Fail Whale -
it appears when the Twitter system is overloaded with Tweets.

Tweeting is fairly boring, though, I think.  Ebert would disagree, as he tweets about 120 times a day (and I really think that's a fair estimate, it might legitimately be more often).  He also has interesting and well-considered views about the new social media, particularly in light of recently losing his ability to speak.  That's a digression, however, so to get back on topic: I find that the majority of things said on Twitter are boring and silly, and I find tweeting, unless I'm linking an article that I want to promote or something like that, tedious and a bit annoying.  'Why do it then?' one might ask, with good reason.  I don't really have a good answer.  I know why I have an account and why I follow some people/organisations, but I dont' know why I bother tweeting at all.  I'm not willing to just accept that and stop tweeting though, and so in an attempt to understand Twitter and to get more involved in this strange new part of our online universe, I've decided to make tweeting more interesting.

I shall tweet only in haiku.

My introductory haiku tweet, for your viewing pleasure:
"tweets on the screen sitting at my desk. always in haiku."

I flipping love haiku and believe it to be a dying form of hilarity and creative expression.  I am so excited to tweet in haiku that I'm trying hard to restrain myself from tweeting another right away.  I will end up tweeting about the most banal things, I'm sure, but what's different about that?  Twitter is full of banalities, and people are eating it up.  Tim Hudak, the leader of Ontario's Conservative Party tweeted that there was an excellent volleyball program at the jail he dreamed about on Monday night, and my co-workers raved.  Celebrities can tweet about their breakfast foods and start a world-wide trend in conversations (in fact, I think this happened when Justin Beiber said something about bananas).  It's absurd, but there it is.  And I'm a part of that now.

Comments

Popular Posts